As the evening progressed last night, Nathan became more agitated and could no longer lay down. I was having a hard time even laying him on his side to relax. By midnight, we decided he needed to go get a strong pain medicine. So, off we went to the 24-hour emergency hospital. They gave he an injection of pain medicine and gave us Tramadol to take home.
This morning, we took him first thing to his regular vet. After examining Nathan, Dr. C felt that the issue was pain in the neck and shoulder area (in front of the area of the 2 prior surgeries). He gave him an anti-inflammatory injection that stays in the system for a week at a steady level and reduces inflammation far better than the oral prednisone. He also did a round of laser therapy. He wants to do 7 more treatments, every other day, and see if Nathan bounces back.
As of right now, Nathan is still quite uncomfortable, but he did sleep in my lap for a few hours today which was good since he was basically up the entire night.